Monday, January 24, 2011

The Sunrise Ruby

In the early morning hour,
just before dawn, lover and beloved wake
and take a drink of water.
She asks, "Do you love me or yourself more?
Really, tell the absolute truth."

He says, "There's nothing left of me.
I'm like a ruby held up to the sunrise.
Is it still a stone, or a world
made of redness? It has no resistance
to sunlight."

This how Hallaj said, I am God,
and told the truth!

The ruby and the sunrise are one.
Be courageous and discipline yourself.

Completely become hearing and ear,
and wear this sun-ruby as an earring.

Work. Keep digging your well.
Don't think about getting off from work.
Water is there somewhere.

Submit to a daily practice.
Your loyalty to that
is a ring on the door.

Keep knocking, and the joy inside
will eventually open a window
and look out to see who's there.




Contemplation - I have sat with this poem many times over the past two weeks. I have read it to friends, my lover and the people who come to me for counsel. The first time I read it, I was on my cushion and it brought instant relief and joy to my heart. Here are the phrases that do this - Water is there somewhere. Submit to a daily practice. The joy inside will eventually open a window and look out to see who's there.

1 comment:

  1. "Work. Keep digging your well"
    Thats the line that hooks me.
    I really like the nature of this new blog... and look forward to more poems!

    ReplyDelete